Am I crazy? Does newlib build nothing?

DJ Delorie dj@redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 22:10:00 GMT 2011

> Anyway, taking your advice as I understand it, I have tried adding a
> "--target=i686-pc-linux-gnu" option when I run newlib configure on my

newlib is an embedded library.  As such, there's a limit to which
targets it supports - it won't build on just anything.  If you want to
build newlib for something specific, specify that as --host (for
natives) or --target (for crosses).  As a special exception, to
prevent naive users from building newlib when they probably don't want
it, you have to jump through a few hoops to enable newlib (as a
target) when building for linux (as a host):

../src/configure --host=i686-pc-linux --with-newlib

If you specify only --target, the top-level configure thinks you're
cross-compiling, and disables newlib.  If you naively configure for
linux (the top-level configure is shared among many projects), it
assumes you don't want newlib unless you explicitly ask for it.

Jeff: any reason why you can't cross-compile to a linux-newlib target?
That seems like a reasonable thing to want to do.