Generic strlen

Schwarz, Konrad konrad.schwarz@siemens.com
Thu Nov 4 01:08:00 GMT 2010

> Prove to me that there is an architecture that
> can fault on anything less than a word boundary, and then
> we'll talk about changing the code.

The "Memory Protection System" of Infineon's TriCore architecture,
a memory protection unit (which can alternatively be used to trigger
the hardware debugger) has full-width upper and lower
address bound registers; that is, can specify arbitrary byte addresses.

HighTec EDV GmbH purveys a version of GCC for this architecture:
http://www.hightec-rt.com/en/products/compiler-debugger/76-tricore-pxros-development-platform.html

I don't know if HighTec uses newlib.  (I don't have much of an opinion
on this issue anyway).

Konrad

PS: the ARM Cortex-M3 Memory Protection Unit does not go down to byte level.