Joel's Only Outstanding RTEMS Newlib Patch

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius@rtems.org
Thu Dec 17 06:45:00 GMT 2009

On 12/17/2009 12:00 AM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 04:12 PM, Jeff Johnston wrote:

>>> I think your reading of the placement is right. I don't think
>>> we want the st_spare4. That should only show up on
>>> the "sun, etc." path.
>>>
>>> Is that what you mean?
>>>
>>> --joel
>> Yes.
>>
> I think it is OK but it is midnight in Germany,
> so Ralf will
> probably not reply until he wakes up. :)
Right, he just woke up and is checking emails ;)

Wrt. st_spare4, cf. my other mail, I sent a couple of minutes ago.

Wrt. your sparc-ALIGNBYTES patch: I think this patch is wrong, and feel
are playing with symptoms of a bug lurking somewhere else:

a) Keying ALIGNBYTES to sizeof(double) doesn't make any sense to me,
because I don't see how doubles are related to alignment at all.
Likely sizeof(double) (8 in your case) is big enough to give enough room
to pamper over some other bug elsewhere.

b) Alignment is a compiler-tuneable feature. It's wrong to hardcode it
anywhere in newlib.

Ralf