linux support for new target

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Mon Jun 1 18:58:00 GMT 2009

santosh tatoju wrote:
> hi ,
>
>  I want my newlib to support linux os for new target, could you please provide me the necessary  steps to do that
>

> thanks inadvance
>
> Santosh
>

>       Bollywood news, movie reviews, film trailers and more! Go to http://in.movies.yahoo.com/

Hell Santosh,

There is currently the libc/sys/linux directory which supports
x86-linux.  In theory, one should be able to modify the machine
directories there (e.g. libc/sys/linux/machine and
libc/sys/linux/linuxthreads/machine) and add the various
platform-specific directories that contain the functionality that is in
i386.  For example, there are macros that are used for syscalls.  After
that, there might be some x86-isms that have worked their way into the
shared header or source files, but you won't know until you start the
effort and we can work to separate the machine-dependent stuff out.  You
would then have to update the top-level newlib/configure.host file to
allow the XXXX-linux target to work.  If this is a totally new platform,
then you will have to add some more stuff as you would for a normal
newlib port (e.g. add setjmp/longjmp assembler code).