Problem building newlib for arm

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Tue May 13 00:44:00 GMT 2008

davidgf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been looking to solve this error but I can't find much information
> about it.
>
> When I compile newlib (gcc and binutils too) for ARM (Game Boy) I got this
> error:
>
> configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in .. ./.
>
> I have installed automake, autoconf, and all the required stuff. Where is
> the problem?
>
> I unzip the source and I run ./configure --target=arm-thumb-elf. Then I run
> make.
>
> Thanks.
>
> David

You'll have to provide more details.  What version of newlib are you
trying to use?

For starters, you should specify either arm-elf or thumb-elf as your
target.  IIRC, arm-elf builds arm with thumb support being a multilib
triggered via the -mthumb option.

You cannot configure directly in the newlib subdirectory.  The newlib
tarball is actually the top-level src directory with newlib and libgloss
subdirectories included.  You configure from the top-level.

If you have linked the newlib and libgloss subdirectories into another
source directory, check to see if the top-level merged directory has the
file: install-sh.  If not, add it by running automake --add-missing in
that top-level directory.