Bug (?) in sprintf family?

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap@eros-os.com
Wed Apr 16 18:42:00 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 16:11 -0400, Jeff Johnston wrote:
> Regardless of your needs, I believe it would be useful for platforms
> that are size-constrained as it can lower the size of a module.

I agree. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful -- I think it's a worthwhile
change.

The larger issue is ensuring that code does not rely on
platform-dependent behavior such as this. My concern about this change
is that code linked with newlib will now silently "work", but when that
code is migrated to another libc the compile will fail.

It is not clear to me that this sort of thing should be newlib's
responsibility. I merely wish that there were some way to reliably
detect such assumptions in my code.

shap