How was newlib supposed to have been used?

Luke A. Guest laguest@archeia.com
Fri Jan 18 06:45:00 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:43 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Neither, nor and all of it.
>
> newlib is a libc implementation.

Yeah, I'm aware of this :/

> I.e. it is a library providing a standardized API to resources
> underneath, which applications might want to use at run-time, and which
> toolchains (compiler/linker etc.) will want to know about.

And this too.

> What these resources actually are is secondary. They can be
> "bare-metal", a full fledged kernel or other libraries.
> Newlib can be and is being used in all of these situations.

Right, so as I'm aiming for bare hw, am I going in the right direction
to get *a minimal GNAT runtime* working for i386-elf (and mips[el]-elf)?

Thanks,
Luke.