Questions about porting newlib

Simone Crestani ilpippo@gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:49:00 GMT 2007

Hello everybody,
I'm currently trying to port newlib to another OS.
I've got a few questions, mainly about reentrancy (who doesn't have
questions about reentrancy?):

- I'd like to use the __getreent() macro. Is it fine to add
__DYNAMIC_REENT__ to newlib_cflags in configure.host? I don't need to
define REENTRANT_SYSCALLS_PROVIDED nor MISSING_SYSCALL_NAMES, do I? And
should I set syscall_dir to syscalls?

- Am I correct thinking that I just need to implement the stubs of
_open, _exit, ... and not _open_r, _exit_r, ...? If I want to use
another implementation of malloc, do I need to implement malloc or also
_malloc_r?

- What's makedoc for? Can I disable its compilation? I ask this because
I'm using a native gcc (I'm not cross-compiling) and I don't see the
point of installing another C library just to compile makedoc (which
requires stdio.h and ctype.h)

Thanks,
Simone