Patch to update libtool in GCC and Src trees

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Fri May 11 23:46:00 GMT 2007

Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>> Looking at libtool.m4, it looks like the only difference between the
>> libtool version and the standard version was in setting
>> lt_cv_deplibs_check_method.  The orignal libtool.m4 has a case statement
>> for "linux-gnu*" and the libtool one changed it to be
>> "linux-gnu*|linux-newlib*".
>>
>> The latest libtool just checks "linux*" so this local libtool.m4 change
>> shouldn't be needed if newlib uses the latest libtool.
>
> Agreed.  Sorry to take through another iteration.
>
> 1) First possibility is to first copy newlib's libtool.m4 onto src/gcc,
> and apply Chuck's suggested changes, at the same time.
>
> 2) Otherwise, we just update libtool in GCC and src trees, again
> including Chuck's suggested changes in the patch.
>
> Jeff, what do you prefer?

My question is how volatile is libtool going to be?  I'm getting kind of
tired of having to change newlib whenever autoconf/automake decides to
change something.  If libtool is simply going to continue working
without constant changes, then Chuck's option 2 seems to make the most
sense, though a bit tedious.