Patch to update libtool in GCC and Src trees

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Fri May 11 21:02:00 GMT 2007

Steve Ellcey wrote:
> What I meant to send in my last email:
>

> Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>> However: on other platforms (see src/newlib/configure.host: at present,
>> only linux native) newlib may in fact use libtool.  It doesn't appear
>> that any of Steve's patches address that:
>>
>>    (1) src/newlib/configure.in says "AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(..)" so
>>        newlib will see the "new" ltmain.sh
>>    (2) src/newlib/Makefile.am says "ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I ." so
>>        aclocal will use newlib/libtool.m4, which is "old", and NOT
>>        the "new" src/libtool.m4 and the other .m4 friends.
>   .
>   .
>> Either way, Steve's existing patch needs to be extended to do
>> _something_ with newlib, and that means a few more days of shakedown so
>> the linux-native-newlib guys can test it.
>
> Charles,
>
> Do you know who any of these linux-native-newlib folks are?  I am
> looking for some guidance on how the users of libtool in newlib would
> like to address this issue.  I am thinking that libtool.m4 should be
> removed from the newlib directory.  I don't know why newlib has its
> own copy of libtool anyway.
>
> Steve Ellcey
> sje@cup.hp.com

Hi Steve,

I am the maintainer of newlib.  It's been so long, but IIRC, newlib had
its own copy because we had to make a slight change at the time though I
don't remember what.

Libtool is used automatically when we build newlib natively on
x86-linux.  To configure, one needs to specify --with-newlib.

Personally, I don't care what the ultimate solution is - just that
newlib continues to build shared libraries for x86-linux one way or
another after being configured natively on x86.  If the easiest solution
is to copy some files into the newlib directory, that's fine.