[PATCH] Add Blackfin support in newlib

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 16:57:00 GMT 2006


Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 18:23 -0400, Robin Getz wrote:
> 
>>>Did Analog Devices really intend to apply this requirement on people 
>>>fielding Blackfin applications using newlib (from LGPL section 6)
>>
>>Yes - kind of.
> 
> Then we (rtems) should stay with the policy we had always applied:
> 
> The LGPL is not acceptable to us, because it imposes restrictions to
> RTEMS and other embedded systems (static linkage), at least we don't
> want to impose on users (LGPL/GPL our and their code).
> 
> I am bit surprised Jeff seems to be willing to accept the LGPL in case,
> despite he had reject other similar submissions in the past. If I were
> to decide, I would not accept it.
>

My bad: I backed down too easy on this issue.  I had not considered the 
ramifications to RTEMS and after further thought, I am on the same page 
as Joel now.  Either the license must be modified or an alternate 
submission must be used.

That said, there is also the bfin port submitted by Michael Ambrus prior 
to Jie Zhang's.  Is there any reason that that submission cannot be 
pursued?  Michael, are you employed by Analog Devices?  Are all APIs 
that you have used, documented, or derived reasonably from documentation?

-- Jeff J.



More information about the Newlib mailing list