How to optimize newlib for a specific ARM processor?

Fernando Ramos framos@hypercom.com
Wed Sep 20 23:39:00 GMT 2006

I got it working!

Thanks to Shaun Jackman for your input. Unfortunately I have to report
that using --with-cpu option to configure does not do what is supposed
to. I saw the --with-cpu being passed from one configure level to the
next, but no change in the final outcome. What's more what I wanted to
do (optimize the xscale toolchain to use a arm922t processor) was
explicitly prohibited by gcc's configure even though it is a valid
platform to work with, as the 922t allows interworking same as the
xscale.

What worked for me was to do a regular configure and then pass the
values I wanted to the make file:

configure xxxx  xxx xxx
make all FLAGS_FOR_TARGET="-mcpu=arm922t"

The same trick works for both gcc and newlib.

FWIW, I used Suse Linux 10.1 to create the toolchain.

Fernando Ramos
Senior Software Engineer
Hypercom Corp.