newlib vs C99 math functions

Christopher Faylor me@cgf.cx
Fri Aug 11 01:54:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 04:05:34PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I don't think that newlib has a roadmap.  Any changes would come from
>>either contributions or talking very nicely to Jeff.  Since newlib isn't
>>Jeff's full-time job, I would imagine that adding major new
>>functionality won't be high on his to-do list.
>
>If there is a list, "%a" in printf/etc would be nice, but I have no need
>of it now or in the foreseeable future. I mainly point it out because it
>looks like that is the only thing missing from printf-and-friends for
>C99 conformance.

The git project pointed out a few things that "cygwin" (aka newlib) was
missing recently.  I don't know if they were C99, POSIX, or just plain
glibc, but I've been thinking of adding some functionality just to
improve compatibility.

>Not sure if I can help Andrew; if they were macros I'd say borrow from a
>compatible open-source libc (like, say, glibc) and offer a patch, but I
>see he also mentioned missing functions; those are a little more
>complicated to add.

There are licensing issues with borrowing from glibc.  That's one of the
reasons that newlib exists, IIRC.

cgf