Q: should it work?

Shaun Jackman sjackman@gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 21:51:00 GMT 2006


Hello Danny,

gas (binutils) > 2.13.2.1 has a known issue assembling DLLs for wince.
They assemble without errors but won't run. I should say the existance
of an issue is known, but the nature of the issue is a bit of a
mystery.

The last version of the rest of binutils (not gas) I tried was 2.15.
There's no reason updating to a recent version shouldn't work, but I
haven't tried it. The last version of GCC I tried was 3.4.2. The same
goes for it.

The upstream newlib sources do not contain newlib/libc/sys/wince,
which is only available as a patch either from me (through Debian in
the package pocketpc-gcc) or from Craig Vanderborgh (through Voxware
in the package GNUWINCE).

I haven't worked on the Pocket PC (WinCE) platform in some time, but
Craig actively works on it, and Eric House will hopefully be taking
over the Debian package from me.

Cheers,
Shaun

On 3/31/06, Danny Backx <danny.backx@scarlet.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with Shaun's work on the gcc/newlib/binutils combo to
> cross-compile stuff for my PocketPC.
>
> That worked rather well, but I wanted to move on to newer tools before
> putting much effort in improving the current stuff.
>
> So I "upgraded" to gcc 4.1, newlib 1.14, and binutils 2.16 .
>
> And now I can't recompile and run even the most simple program.
>
> Are there obvious pitfalls or should it "just work" ?
>
>         Danny


More information about the Newlib mailing list