The thread model in newlib

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Tue Dec 20 17:29:00 GMT 2005

Leif Ekblad wrote:
> Jeff J:
>
>> whereas newlib/libc/sys is for OSes (e.g. RTEMS, Linux, Cygwin). There
>> are few platforms like ARM that are in libc/sys but this is just
>> historical and they truly belong in libgloss.  The libgloss library
>> allows an end-user to choose at compile/link time the actual target
>> board/simulator. Having ARM in newlib has proven a true nuisance so a
>> libgloss directory has been created and eventually we'll have gcc use
>> it exclusively and remove the libc/sys/arm directory altogether.
>

> OK, I see.
>
>> RTEMS and Cygwin actually use newlib as a base that they override and
>> enhance so the syscalls, OS-specific functions are actually found in
>> their own projects.  OTOH, the linux support was started in newlib and
>> has grown to where it is today.  It too overrides functionality from
>> the shared sections of newlib as appropriate for Linux.
>

> I'm not quite sure what to put into newlib and what to keep in my own
> project. For example, I've done a 150k GAS interface file, rdos.s,  for
> all syscalls
> in RDOS. This file is anticipated to change quite often as I add new
> syscalls.
> For sure the implementation of the required fiunctions in newlib will
> require
> linking to this object file. I configured GCC to always link this file
> and also
> embedded the crt-startup code there. Should I put this file in newlib or
> keep
> it in my project? Or both?

Regarding the number of changes you expect to make: I would have no
problem in giving you write-without-approval permission for the files in
the libc/sys/rdos directory.  The files in question cannot have a
proprietary license and the GPL is avoided.  A bsd-like license or freer
is usually preferred but LGPL is also ok for your OS-specific files.  If
the project is complex and you need to have control over how it is
maintained or there are a number of contributors, then having a separate
project makes sense.  If it is rather straightforward and you are the
principle maintainer, then having the files in newlib makes sense since
it is easier for the end-user to build.

> There is also a shared rdos.h file in my project that contains
> prototypes for
> rdos.s that is used by both Win32 and GCC. This file must be both in
> newlib and in my project.

Not a problem.