dprintf

Jeff Johnston jjohnstn@redhat.com
Mon Oct 3 21:23:00 GMT 2005

Shaun Jackman wrote:

>2005/10/3, Jeff Johnston <jjohnstn@redhat.com>:
>

>>Secondly, it appears you have essentially copied the gnu
>>code you posted earlier which will have a GPL license.
>>

>Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. That was my own implementation of
>the GNU-semantics dprintf, as opposed to the newlib semantics
>__dprintf, which is quite different but unfortunately share very
>similar names.

Ok, as long as it was your implementation.

>>First of all, no licensing information.
>>

>Is it acceptable to assign the copyright to the public domain?

That's ok.  Just put something in effect that you wrote it and that you
grant free license to copy modify etc... in all forms.

>>Thirdly, you haven't addressed reentrancy in your patch
>>

>I believe all the called functions (vasprintf, write, free) are
>themselves reentrant. Is this function not reentrant then?

I am referring to the fact that there is an _r form of the functions
that pass the reentrancy struct from function to function.  There is a
__vasprintf_r and __free_r for example.  These are needed for threading.

>>and you're not using the newlib function define macros
>>

>What is the purpose of the newlib function define macros, and is there
>a newlib hackers reference manual available?

They encapsulate the prototype semantics (see _ansi.h).  There is no
such manual in place.

>>nor have you added any documentation.
>>

>I'll fix this up.

Great.  Thanks.