[patch] Add fast<N>_t types to stdint.h

Schwarz, Konrad konrad.schwarz@siemens.com
Thu Sep 22 11:06:00 GMT 2005

> -----Original Message-----
> From: newlib-owner@sources.redhat.com
> [mailto:newlib-owner@sources.redhat.com] On Behalf Of Ralf Corsepius
> Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 11:24 AM
> To: newlib@sources.redhat.com
> Subject: Re: [patch] Add fast<N>_t types to stdint.h

[... Various proposals ...]

Automatically (i.e., across all architectures) deriving "best" (perhaps
even "good") definitions for <stdint.h> typedefs is by nature not
possible; this is precisely the reason this header was introduced by
C99: it provides new information which is not available in previous
versions of standard C.

It seems to me, therefore, that the correct place for the origin of
these definitions would be in the architecture-specific parts of the
compiler.

Regards,

Konrad Schwarz