support for %m format argument to printf?

Jeremy Elson jelson@cs.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 29 09:54:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

Gnu C allows you to specify "%m" in printf format strings; newlib
doesn't.  Is there any plan to add support?  If not, I can work on a
patch.

If you're not familiar with it -- Gnu C lets you substitute %m for
strerror(errno).  It's similar to using perror(), except that you can
construct more meaningful error messages, e.g.:

printf("couldn't open %s: %m", filename);

I'm porting software that extensively uses this idiom to newlib.

Regards,
Jeremy