$Id questin

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@netscape.net
Mon Dec 1 17:30:00 GMT 2003

J. Johnston wrote:

> Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:
>
>> Just interesting, why vfptint.v and getopts.c have (Net)BSD's thing
>> like this:
>>
>> #if defined(LIBC_SCCS) && !defined(lint)
>> /*static char *sccsid = "from: @(#)vfprintf.c   5.50 (Berkeley)
>> 12/16/92";*/
>> static char *rcsid = "$Id: vfprintf.c,v 1.43 2002/08/13 02:40:06
>> fitzsim Exp $";
>> #endif /* LIBC_SCCS and not lint */
>>
>> Why this wasn't removed after portage from NetBSD?
>>

> No reason.  It was just left there.

I think it is a good idea to keep the newer BSD rcsid's("$OpenBSD:",
etc.) when contributing ported code.  Keeping a reference to what
version was used is actually quite helpful in that one could go back at
a later date and see if the BSD people caught some bugs which we might
have missed.  As, for non bsd code (such as ISC code, etc.) with plain
$Id:'s, I think that removing the dollar signs would be a good approach
there.

Cheers,
Nicholas