building newlib for mingw32

Brian Hawley bhawley@luminex.com
Wed Mar 19 21:19:00 GMT 2003

Thanks for the help.

The absolute path solved the problem with the incorrect path for the
include dirs, if you use /.../newlib-1.11.0/newlib/configure instead of
/.../newlib-1.11.0/configure as the README says.

The linking problem still remains, but I'll post that under a different
subject.

If anyone cares about the output showing the discrepencies with the
README....here's all the details.

--------------------------------------

If you use the top level configure (with absolute or relative paths) as the
README says, you get:

bnh-engr@SADIE /e/projects/wincompat-stuff/newlib-1.11.0/i386-mingw
$ /e/projects/wincompat-stuff/newlib-1.11.0/configure --prefix=/e/projects/winc
ompat-stuff/build-newlib
Configuring for a i686-pc-mingw32 host.
Created "Makefile" in /e/projects/wincompat-stuff/newlib-1.11.0/i386-mingw usin
  "mh-frag"

bnh-engr@SADIE /e/projects/wincompat-stuff/newlib-1.11.0/i386-mingw
$ make
Configuring in etc
creating cache ../config.cache
checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
updating cache ../config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory `/e/projects/wincompat-stuff/newlib-1.11.0/i386-min
w/etc'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

If you use the configure down inside the newlib directory of newlib-1.11.0,
then it goes the the configure of the
whole tree.  But, using relative paths, as the README suggests, results in
a bad include dir.  The include
dir list is okay if you use an absolute path.

By the way, the configure script appears to look for a 'cc' binary to
determine if it is a mingw32 environment...mingw32 [ at least
the latest version ] doesn't install a cc.exe, or even a link to
gcc.exe.  So, it doesn't detect it is a mingw32 environment.  If I manually
create a link from cc.exe to gcc.exe, then it does detect the mingw32
environment...I don't know what impact that may have on the
rest of the build.

i.e.:

bnh-engr@SADIE /e/projects/wincompat-stuff/newlib-1.11.0/i386-mingw
$ /e/projects/wincompat-stuff/newlib-1.11.0/newlib/configure --prefix=/e/projec
ts/wincompat-stuff/build-newlib

checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /bin/install -c
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc

At 02:02 PM 3/18/2003 -0500, J. Johnston wrote:
>>>I've never tried to build newlib for mingw since, on Windows, newlib is
>>>typically built for cygwin.  However, there seems to at least be a
>>>target for mingw in configure so maybe it's supposed to work.

>>> mingw.
>>>
>>>Filling in a lot of what windows doesn't natively do is actually what cygwin
>>>does.
>>
>>We can't use Cygwin due to licensing restrictions.

>>> script in
>>>
>>>Sorry, but you're not providing many details.  As a wild guess, perhaps
>>>you shouldn't be using relative paths to configure but should be
>>>building in a completely separate build directory.  That's how I typically
>>>build newlib for cygwin.
>>
>>I'm following the README in the newlib distribution verbatim.
>
>Brian, try using an absolute path to newlib's configure.  If you still have
>the same problems, then please post your configuration line and what
>errors you are seeing on the make.
>
>If you could also post an example of what errors you are seeing in
>mallocr.o, it would make it easier to assist you.
>
>>>Otherwise, please provide your directory layout, the commands you're using
>>>to configure and make newlib, an example gcc command line, and exact error
>>>message output.

>>> for all
>>> them
>>> wsbrk
>>>
>>>Sorry.  Can't help there.  Again, details would help, like the actual gcc
>>>command line you're using.
>\

Brian N. Hawley                 bhawley@luminex.com
Luminex Software, Inc.          http://www.luminex.com
PO Box 5908                     voice: 909-781-4100 x112
Riverside, CA  92517            fax: 909-781-4105