newlib and the use of fcntl by java

Anthony Green green@redhat.com
Tue Sep 17 08:00:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 06:38, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> Hmm, it appears that java is making use of the fcntl function in newlib
> (or at least, it is trying to).  This is a problem, since most embedded
> targets don't provide this function.  The function fcntl always exists in
> newlib's libc.a, but on most targets it will call a non-existent function
> _fcntl which causes a link error.

I have a patch which adds _fcntl for the ARM newlib port.  It was even
approved, but, being the bad hacker-citizen that I am, it was never
committed.

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/newlib/2002/msg00105.html

However, I'll note that adding a dummy _fcntl (like in my patch) wasn't
one of your suggested fixes.  I believe syscalls contains other dummy
implementations - so it seemed like the thing to do.  What do you think?

Thanks,

AG