Old problem but hard to kill

Wolfgang Fritz wolfgang.fritz@gmx.net
Sat Jul 20 13:00:00 GMT 2002

mmxlee@263.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes , I have some problem with newlib , again it's for a mips-tx39-elf target.
>
> The newlib is compiled smoothly but just don't work,
> when I compile a simple "hello.c" , it always prompt the same error:
>
> in function '_sbrk'
> undefined reference to `sbrk'
>
> in function '_read'
> undefined reference to 'read'
>
> Then I compile the newlib again with the -DREENTRANT-PROVIDED, then the error becomes:
>
> in function '_sbrk_r'
> undefined reference to 'sbrk'
>
> in function '_read_r'
> undefined reference to 'read'
>
> seems no help.
>
> I can't use a C compiler without a newlib support, but how can I provide a suitable library for my compiler...?

I had a similar problem with a special m68k target with 68LC302
processor. Some basic functions like read, sbrk etc. are too target
specific and therefore not included in newlib itself. If you are lucky,
someone has written them for your target, if not, you have to write them
yourself. To make this easier, the "libgloss" library provides basic
versions of these functions for very simple targets. For the m68k target
    it was called "libnosys". If you have it for your target too, you
may add it to your link command and at least get a successful link.

There is some documentation available for this, but I don't where I it
comes from. It appeared on my computer during the build of the GNU
toolchain. Maybe it was generated during the gcc build. It's called
"Embed with GNU" and accessible via "info" on my linux box.

Wolfgang