C99 integer type sizes for limits.h

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour@redhat.com
Sun Dec 2 15:55:00 GMT 2001

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> [ stdint.h/inttypes.h ]
> So, to answer your question pragmatically, having them in newlib would
> be nice and welcomed, but having them inside of RTEMS offers us (RTEMS)
> more control and flexibility.

I would have hoped most of stdint.h would come from gcc (when using gcc)
actually. gcc has to date tried to fulfil the header requirements for a
"conforming freestanding implementation" as described in the Conformance
section of C99.

stdint.h may require gcc-isms like __attribute__((mode(QI)) or something on
some systems. They won't necessarily correspond to "standard" types. And
it's certainly not specific to RTEMS or newlib, and gcc already has to
"know" about these types anyway as part of a port. In exactly the same way
as limits.h and float.h.

So if any place is recommended for patches, GCC is the best place. Of
course that doesn't stop RTEMS doing it's own thing if it wants, until GCC
catches up :-).

Jifl