link problem (powerpc-elf)

Michael Morrison mmorrison@stoneflynetworks.com
Tue Jun 26 11:16:00 GMT 2001

W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> Michael Morrison wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I recently installed GNU cross toolchain for powerpc for both linux and
> > cygwin hosts.
> > When I compile/link a simple "hello world" program, I get the following:
> >
> > [mike@tux powerpc]$ powerpc-elf-gcc main.c -o main
> > /opt/powerpc/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-elf/3.0/../../../../powerpc-elf/bin/ld:
> > warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 01800074
> > /tmp/cctRepxT.o: In function `main':
> > /tmp/cctRepxT.o(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `printf'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >
> > I have: gcc-3.0, binutils-2.11 and newlib 1.9.0
> >
> > I also have these tools installed for an arm target and don't have any
> > problems with it.
> >
> > Any clues on where I can begin looking?
> >
> > THX
> > mike
>
> Uhm, you need to specify the library in your link step.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jerry Hicks
> gehicks@cisco.com

Ok,   if I do the following:

Native linux compiler:   gcc -g hello.c -o hello
ARM cross compiler    arm-elf-gcc -g hello.c -o hello

I get resulting 'hello' programs - no additional libraries need to be
specified; no errors are reported
If use the powerpc cross tools I get the above errors.

BTW the arm cross tools and powerpc cross tools are all the same source - just
configured for different
targets.   So,  what additional libraries need to be specified on the command
line for powerpc only?

Thanks
Mike