powerpc-eabism, strategy for finding crt0.o

Alexandre Oliva aoliva@redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 12:51:00 GMT 2001

On Apr 12, 2001, Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> wrote:

> Have a build-install directory which exactly mirrors what the real
> install directory would look like, and have everyone put what's
> needed there.

When we have shared libraries linked with shared libraries in the same
build tree, this won't work either.

On a number of systems, a library gets encoded in itself the path to
find the libraries it depends on.  For example, libgcj depends on
libstdc++ (say) depends on libgcc_s: this means libstdc++ is created
such that it knows where libgcc_s is installed, and libgcj knows where
libstdc++ is installed.  We just can't install them elsewhere and
expect things to work.

> I suspect that this moderately drastic change would
> actually take _less_ time than adding more locallized
> hackery, since it is certainly to be enormously more
> robust.

I don't see why it would be more robust.  It's just doing with
libgloss what we already do with newlib and libstdc++-v3.  I don't
want any drastic changes in the build infrastructure this close to a
release.