MALLOC_PROVIDED obsolete?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill@OARcorp.com
Tue Feb 20 17:52:00 GMT 2001

Hi,

We are trying to cleanup RTEMS compile flags, makefiles, etc
and see that we always define MALLOC_PROVIDED.  We used to
have to do this to use newlib.  Do we still need to do it?
As Ralf is noting, we don't see references to it in the
installed newlib or in RTEMS but I wanted to check.

FYI we have been using newlib since the earliest net releases
so it could just be ancient cruft.

--joel

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When building RTEMS, currently -DMALLOC_PROVIDED is used when building
> with newlib based toolchains (added by aclocal/check-newlib.m4) and
> with all unix-target (added by make/custom/*.cfg), ie. actually always.
>
> However, neither RTEMS nor newlib/gcc nor linux's libc apply it:
>
> Installed rtems-toolchain:
> # find /opt/rtems -name '*.h' \
> -exec grep MALLOC_PROVIDED {} \;
>
> Linux:
> # find /usr/include -name '*.h' \
> -exec grep MALLOC_PROVIDED {} \;
>
> RTEMS source tree:
> # find . \( -name '*.h' -o -name '*.c' -o -name *.S' \) \
> -exec grep MALLOC_PROVIDED {} \;
>
> IMO, this means MALLOC_PROVIDED can be removed from all newlib and linux
> based RTEMS's configuration and probably also from all other
> Unix-variants.
>
> Or am I missing something?
>
> Ralf
>
> --
> Ralf Corsepius
> Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung (FAW)
> Helmholtzstr. 16, 89081 Ulm, Germany     Tel: +49/731/501-8690
> mailto:corsepiu@faw.uni-ulm.de           FAX: +49/731/501-999
> http://www.faw.uni-ulm.de

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985