Ok? Top-level Makefile.in archiver change

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Wed Apr 12 09:53:00 GMT 2000

   Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:32:24 +1000
   From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>

   The attatched patch re-aranges the way the top level Makefile.in creates
   a release (e.g. make -f Makefile.in binutils.tar.bz).  Namely, it splits
   the process into two more evenly balanced steps:

	   o	do-proto-toplev

	   o	do-tar-bz2

   The rewritten taz target then just calls on each of those in turn.  By
   doing that I can more easily slip in a few extra steps (so far just
   do-md5sum) for the GDB release process.

Personally, I would just add the md5sum to the generic release target.
I don't know why anybody would not want that.  It's not like the
release targets are carefully thought out; they are just hacked
together to do whatever is needed.  I always had to change them for
each release anyhow.

But your patch is OK with me.

   + gdb-taz: $(DEVO_SUPPORT) $(SUPPORT_FILES) texinfo/texinfo.tex
   + 	$(MAKE) -f Makefile.in do-proto-toplev do-md5sum do-tar-bz2 \

I'm not 100% sure that make promises to execute targets in precisely
the order in which appear in the command line.  This is particularly
questionable when using make -j.  If you are sure this is correct,
then it is fine with me.  Otherwise, it may be better to separate this
into three different make commands.

Ian