RFC src/configure* - "CFLAGS=-g -O" instead of "CFLAGS=... -Wall"

Andrew Cagney ac131313@cygnus.com
Fri Apr 7 00:51:00 GMT 2000

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>    Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 21:43:57 +1000
>    From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
>
>    Basic problem.  I can't see a way of differentiating between:
>
>            make
>    and  make WARN_CFLAGS=
>
>    This is important as the top-level make shouldn't pass down
>    ``WARN_CFLAGS='' in the first case but should in the second.
>
> Why?

> I assume that what you mean is that the binutils should include
> WARN_CFLAGS when compiling code.  The binutils use automake, so this
> would be done by putting
>     AM_CFLAGS = $(WARN_CFLAGS)
> in the Makefile.am file.  That would be fine.

(Thanks).

I was trying to ensure that the user could, from the top level, control
WARN_CFLAGS just like they can control CFLAGS.  It sounds like it isn't
worth persuing.

	Andrew