newlib 1.8.2 binary!

Marek Michalkiewicz marekm@linux.org.pl
Mon Mar 27 10:41:00 GMT 2000

John Clarke wrote:
> You're building in the source directory.  newlib-1.8.1 allowed this, 1.8.2
> doesn't.  I got caught by this too.  Try this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> tar -xzf newlib-1.8.2.tar.gz
> mkdir newlib-build
> cd newlib-build
> ../newlib-1.8.2/configure --target=i386
> make

It works - thanks!  It is even documented (in newlib/README) that
you CAN do this (useful when building for several targets) but not
that you MUST do this (the usual "./configure --target=... ; make"
which doesn't work is mentioned earlier in the same file).  I guess
most people build it in a separate directory so no one noticed.

I'd suggest to add this information to the README file (better yet,
configure should work in the source directory too, or at least exit
gracefully with a message explaining the problem) so that hopefully
no one will ask for "newlib binary" anymore :-).

Regards,
Marek