enable/disable-debug options to libstdc++-v3

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@hotmail.com
Mon Oct 21 03:58:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

     While building GCC from sources I noticed that
the generated libstdc++-v3 was HUGE even if I specify
--disable-debug. I could finally trace it to the
portion in configure that sets DEBUG_FLAGS to "-O0 -ggdb"
if "--enable-debug=yes" and to "-g" if "--enable-debug=no"
(or "--disable-debug") was given.

Now I did read in the configure.in comments that
these flags should not be specified for production
builds, but the problem is that I need to specify
--disable-debug for other parts of GCC and the top-level
configure blindly passes all flags to all components.

Can these flags not be changed to "-g0" when
"--enable-debug=no"?

Does it really make sense to say that "--disable-debug"
would mean that debug information would be put in
anyways?

(For some reason, explicit definition of "DEBUG_FLAGS=-g0"
in the top-level make's command line does not seem to
percolate to libstdc++-v3.)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sincerely Yours,
Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/