Incorrect days of the week in ru_UA locale

Mikhail Gribanov mikhail.gribanov@gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 07:33:00 GMT 2019

>Since the solution is controversial I would like to hear
>feedback from Mikhail and/or Keld (CC).  This patch does not
>determine whether lower or uppercase is correct, just says
>that ru_RU and ru_UA should be the same.

Just use the same representation for abday as in ru_RU as it is (the
first letter is large, the rest is small). It is correct.

I want ru_UA locale to inherit all translations from ru_RU (months,
days of the week, etc.) excluding government data (currency sign,
phone number, etc.). So that there is no such thing that the days of
the week in these locales are written differently (like now). They use
the same language, therefore the translation must be the same.

My native language is Russian and Ukrainian, I'm not a linguist, so
I’ll only express my point of view. Abbreviations for days of the week
(two letters) and month (three letters) in Russian and Ukrainian in
everyday life is always written with a first capital letter ("Пн",
"Вт"). But if this is due to some limitations - then use small letters
(but it is wrong). It’s easier for me, as an end user, to correct
format string in app than to correct a translation every time.

>You replied to me off-list.  I don't mind this but was this intentional?

My mistake, I use the web version of gmail, maybe pressed the wrong button.