Incorrect days of the week in ru_UA locale

Keld Simonsen keld@keldix.com
Tue Oct 1 20:54:00 GMT 2019

On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 09:45:13PM +0200, Rafal Luzynski wrote:
> 28.09.2019 19:37 Keld Simonsen <keld@keldix.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think we should use lowercase that is what we do with manuyothe european
> > locales
> > and it is the culturally correct form
> >
> > keld
>
> Thank you for your feedback, Keld.  Unfortunately, as a native speaker
> of one of those languages I must say that this is more complex.
> Indeed, names of the weeks and months are usually lowercase but
> when they appear in the beginning of a sentence they are uppercase.
> I am afraid that a name of a weekday more often appears in the beginning
> of the sentence than in the middle.  To the extent that some locales
> prefer the weekday and/or month names to start with the uppercase.

I am also a native speaker of one of those languages, Danish, and moreover I was the initial contributer of about 60 of the locales incl ru_RU,
that Urich Drepper picked up for glibc. I am also the editor of ISO 14652 and ISO 30112 that provided extensions
beyond Posix i18n functionality, and I  provide guidance for their use. My advice is that this bad policy to have wrongly
capitalized names here.

> What we actually need is a new format modifier to control the first
> letter being uppercase/lowercase.  Currently we have only "^" to convert
> whole substring (e.g., a weekday name) to uppercase, and "#" to swap
> the upper/lowercase.  It was discussed in the past, there is a bug
> report and a proposal to ensure that "^#" works as a converter to
> lowercase but this is not enough because I would like to see one more
> format modifier to convert to titlecase (that is: the first letter
> being uppercase).  I would be happy to work on that problem but
> it is a separate case and would need more discussion.

I agree with you, and it has been my plan as editor of ISO 30112 to add functionality along the lines that you suggest,
without having a firm propoal.

> Back about the main problem, I would like to post a patch which would
> be the best explanation what I mean in this particular case.

What would it say?

keld