Help needed reviewing Cyrillic -> ASCII transliteration [BZ #2872]

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh@gotplt.org
Fri Jan 4 04:05:00 GMT 2019

On 04/01/19 5:57 AM, Egor Kobylkin wrote:
> On 03.01.19 14:41, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
>> On 03/01/19 4:52 PM, Egor Kobylkin wrote:
>>> Is there a specific way you measure the bloat of the C locale?
>>> Is it the size of the resulting libc.so.6 file we are concerned with?
>>
>> I believe it's built into libc.so, so I suppose you'd have to look at
>> its file size.
>
> I have build the library two times w/wo patch to compare the .so sizes:
>
> (ls -l build/glibc/libc.so)
>
> size without Cyrillic translit
> 17172016 bytes
>
> size with Cyrillic translit (patch applied)
> 17180208 bytes
>
> the difference is 8192 bytes

Thanks, I think that difference is minimal and even if we add some
amount of transliteration for all implemented locales the effect
shouldn't go beyond a few MB, definitely not in the hundreds.

Siddhesh