localedef during tests suddenly needs a lot of memory

Joseph Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Thu Aug 17 16:43:00 GMT 2017

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017, Florian Weimer wrote:

> With upstream master as of commit
> bb6274ee1293a6bc76d9d7c889783303de181295, I see that make check in the
> localedata subdirectory needs lots and lots of memory (several gigabytes).

localedef has never been particularly parsimonious in its use of memory,
but historically that was of the form "if you're testing on a board with
e.g. only 32 MB of memory, you might need to cross-build the locales".  It
shouldn't need several GB; I'd say if it's even using 256 MB it should be
made smarter.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com