CLDR locales support in glibc

Rostislav Devyatov deviatov@gmail.com
Thu May 5 14:04:00 GMT 2016

> I'm glad there is an immediate solution,
Thank you. Do I understand correctly that the source file of this
en_NL glibc locale only exists in the mailing list, not even in the
"developers version" of glibc (here, for example
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=tree )?

> but I also think the broader discussion is important.
If opinions of general users are useful for this discussion, here is
my opinion. I think that such a locale (or locales, one for each
country) is useful for the following reason.

There are a lot of international employees across Europe (and I used
to be one for a while). Sometimes it is convenient for them to have
their programs in English for better interaction with colleagues, not
in the local language (which they don't know very well) or in their
native languages, because: 1. programs may be poorly localized, and
it's more convenient to use the English version that the version in
the native language, where e. g. text on buttons, is wider that the
area it is placed on, and therefore is partly invisible, 2. if they
want to show something on the screen to their colleagues, it is more
convenient to do that in English environment, 3. It's better if some
template files for messages to other people are written in English,
like "On DATE at TIME SOMEBODY wrote".

On the other hand, such a user wants to avoid confusion when he sees a
date like 03/04/2016, which is in fact 04 Mar 2016 in the en_US
locale, but he first thinks that it is 03 Apr 2016.