CLDR locales support in glibc

Rostislav Devyatov deviatov@gmail.com
Thu May 5 00:14:00 GMT 2016

Dear developers,

I have a question about support of locales in glibc.

If I understand correctly, "locales" are first "defined" or "created"
by Unicode developers and distributed in a package (?) called CLDR.
Then the support for a given new locale in linux starts when it
becomes supported by glibc.

It also seems to me that for now, CLDR containes more locales than
glibc supports. In other words, here
http://unicode.org/Public/cldr/29/ in core.zip , in the common/main/
directory of the archive, there are more files than here
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/ in glibc-2.23.tar.gz , in the
localedata/locales/ directory of the archive. And my question is,
whether support for (some of) the remaining CLDR locales by glibc can
be expected?

I'm particularly interested in the locale called en_150, which is
announced here http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-22 , in
September 2012. If I understand correctly, this locale indicates that
the language is English and the date/paper/temperature standards are
the ones used in continental Europe.

Best regards,
Rostislav Devyatov