Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

Carlos O'Donell carlos@codesourcery.com
Fri May 27 19:08:00 GMT 2011

On 5/27/2011 12:08 PM, Petr Baudis wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:53:25AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> On 5/27/2011 5:43 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>>> [Petter Reinholdtsen 2011-05-09]
>>>
>>> No-one have volunteered so far.  If no-one step forward before
>>> 2011-06-04, I will most likely start the process to have this list
>>> shut down, as I am unable to find the required time to moderate it,
>>> and all messages need to be manually accepted into the list.
>>>
>>> Happy hacking,
>>
>> Why not ask overseers to remove the moderation requirement and
>> accept any emails? It's still useful IMO to have somewhere for
>> locale related conversations to happen. Most people can tolerate
>> some spam.
>
> I'm not actually sure if it is good idea to have some spawn-off
> very low traffic lists. It seems to me that it rather contributes to
> more fragmentation in the already very stagnant community. Another way
> to look at it is that between last March and now, some 20 mails (except
> localedata bug mails) arrived, but no *conversation* has happenned on
> the list at all.
>
> I think this is no good. Instead of redirecting people interested in
> locales to a list that is used for reporting problems, but not for
> solving them, it would be better to have this kind of discussion on
> libc-help and libc-alpha, where it may become apparent even to people
> not primarily interested in locales that there are problems in this
> area and they need some attention. After all, the traffic really is
> rather low.

Petr,

I hadn't looked at the traffic on list, but if it's low, then by all
means lets move it to libc-help and libc-alpha.

There is no need to have a separate list for low traffic.

Petter,

When you kill the list, please contact me and I'll update the website
and wiki to redirect locale questions to libc-help.

Cheers,
Carlos.
--
Carlos O'Donell