Official policy for new locales

Eduardo Trápani etrapani@unesco.org.uy
Mon Apr 3 18:45:00 GMT 2006

>>What does a language need in order to be able to present a "convincing
>>case"?  Speakers, literature, mainstream opensource localizations,
>>wikipedia, could you tell me as maintainer what do you expect from a
>>language to consider including it in glibc?  Apart from the ISO code, of
>>course.
>

> Petter's site is quite useful in this regard (he pointed to it earlier in this
> thread):
>
>   http://www.student.uit.no/~pere/linux/glibc/

Thanks. In relation to the language I want to add, there is a comment in that page 'maintainers seem to refuse "artificial languages" like Esperanto an Lojban, even if they got a ISO 639 code'.

Having that comment added to the glibc *official* page would save time to all the people periodically asking for esperanto to be added.  Please check bugs #2135 and #711 to see the latest presentations of our case.

I think it's best for everybody to have the official policy spelled out clearly.

Eduardo.