Is libresolv part of glibc?

Nikolaos Chatzikonstantinou nchatz314@gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 20:47:41 GMT 2024


On Thu, Nov 7, 2024 at 3:06 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> * Nikolaos Chatzikonstantinou via Libc-help:
>
> > Could you please clarify if libresolv is part of glibc, and if so,
> > where can I read more about it?
>
> On GNU systems, libresolv is provided by glibc.  The code originated
> with mostly BIND 4 (with some parts taken from early BIND 8 releases).
> I don't know where it is documented in full (Stevens, UNIX Network
> Programming only describes only a tiny part of it).
>
> In general, if you need a DNS client library, you should consider
> looking elsewhere.  The code is very old and difficult to maintain for
> various reasons.

Thank you for clarifying. I've since located the code under the
resolv/ directory of the glibc repository. Should this information be
part of resolv/README and the glibc manual? To have a note
discouraging users from using it in new projects. If you'd like, I'll
send a patch.

Regards,
Nikolaos Chatzikonstantinou


More information about the Libc-help mailing list