Does glibc support remote process backtracing
Abhijit Ray Chaudhury
abhijit.ray.chaudhury@gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 07:35:46 GMT 2023
Hi Florian,
Thanks a lot for replying. I need to do remote stack tracing , for which I
am using libunwind-ptrace . The problem is it does not work on VDSOs . It
treats VDSO memory mapping entry in /proc/<pid>/maps as a file and tries to
open it and subsequently fails.
I tried mailing in libunwind-dev, but it seemed dormant .
I need a library which works on both arm and x86_64 , do you think elfutils
would be a good option ?
Thanks in Advance,
-Abhijit
On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 2:50 PM Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> * Abhijit Ray Chaudhury via Libc-help:
>
> > Hi,
> > Libunwind supports remote process backtracing through libunwind-ptrace (
> > https://www.nongnu.org/libunwind/man/libunwind-ptrace(3).html ). Does
> glibc
> > also support remote process backtracing ?
>
> For current architectures, glibc does not supply an implementation of
> stack unwinding/backtrace generatio. We use libgcc_s for that (via the
> unwind-link facility in glibc). There's no remote backtracing support
> in libgcc_s.
>
> There's a remote backtrace implementation in elfutils, which probably
> has a greater affinity with the GNU toolchain on Linux (compared to
> libunwind).
>
> Thanks,
> Florian
>
>
More information about the Libc-help
mailing list