resolv/tst-resolv-res_init fails with unshare (CLONE_NEWUTS) failed: Operation not permitted

John Lumby johnlumby@hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 19:40:45 GMT 2022


Thanks Florian  -

My ooppss  -    the FAIL was actually on
FAIL: resolv/tst-resolv-res_init-multi

But I looked in tst-resolv-res_init.out -    I should have looked in tst-resolv-res_init-multi.out   -    where I see something completely different  - a timeout  (which I think I have seen before)

Sorry for false alarm   (although now I have learned about unshare :-)

Cheers,   John Lumby

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>
Sent: March 1, 2022 2:25 PM
To: John Lumby via Libc-help <libc-help@sourceware.org>
Cc: John Lumby <johnlumby@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: resolv/tst-resolv-res_init fails with unshare (CLONE_NEWUTS) failed: Operation not permitted 
 
* John Lumby via Libc-help:

> Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.
>
> under linux-5.16.9 I am building and testing glibc-2.35 and get one FAIL in the test suite :   glibc-build/resolv/tst-resolv-res_init.out contains :
>
> warning: could not become root outside namespace (Operation not permitted)
> warning: unshare (CLONE_NEWUTS) failed: Operation not permitted
> warning: could not enter network namespace
>
> I think the cause if that is this code in support/support_become_root.c
>
>        unshare (CLONE_NEWUSER | CLONE_NEWNS)
>
> is getting EPERM.

It's just a warning, so it shouldn't cause a test failure.

Are there any other messages in the resolv/tst-resolv-res_init.out file?

Thanks,
Florian


More information about the Libc-help mailing list