glibc tunables to disable axv not updating memcpy

Vineet Gupta vineet.gupta@linux.dev
Thu Dec 8 03:47:43 GMT 2022


Hi,

I've been playing with x86_64 tunables to see how they are plumbed into 
ifunc machinery, but running into a something which I don't understand 
(this is glibc 2.35 so pretty recent).

I'm disabling AVX and friends as:
export 
GLIBC_TUNABLES=glibc.cpu.hwcaps=--SSSE3,-SSE4_2,AVX,-AVX2,-AVX512F,-AVX512VL


A simple program which calls memcpy, seems to be calling 
__memmove_evex_unaligned_erms() despite my tunable disabling AVX512VL.

|
| main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffdce8) at test-mcpu.c:10
| 10		memcpy(dest, src, atoi(argv[1]));
| (gdb) s
| __memmove_evex_unaligned_erms () at 
../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memmove-vec-unaligned-erms.S:307
| 307	../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memmove-vec-unaligned-erms.S


glibc dependency on AVX512VL for the said routine/

| 	      IFUNC_IMPL_ADD (array, i, memmove,
|			      CPU_FEATURE_USABLE (AVX512VL),
|			      __memmove_evex_unaligned_erms)
|

There used to be AVX*_Usable for tunables but it seems that was changed 
in 107e6a3c2212ba7a3a (" x86: Support usable check for all CPU features")

I also don't understand how the memcpy is being redirected to memmove, 
since assembler in test has a PLT call to memcpy.

LD_DEBUG=all doesn't print any ifunc related info.

I've tried hacking x86 elf_machine_lazy_rel() add dl_debug_printf() 
around R_X86_64_IRELATIVE - which seems to work but there's too less 
info to help answer the exact ifunc plumbing.

Any ideas where to look ?

Thx,
-Vineet




More information about the Libc-help mailing list