Directory structure of glibc and header files installed on Linux

Peng Yu pengyu.ut@gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:56:20 GMT 2021


Hi Adhemerval and Florian,

> That's why the simplest solution is as Florian has put it to build a
> glibc to the target you want to
> inspect and check the installed headers.

I don't understand this part. When it is installed, it does copies or
symlinks? If it is just copies, how to tell where they are originally
from? How to avoid the conflict between user installed libc vs the
system default installed libc (as. libc6-dev in debian lineage)?

Do you have to build glibc before running build-many-glibcs.py? How to
run build-many-glibcs.py? It seems that it have options. I am not sure
what options I should use. Could you show me the complete command?

Does macOS use glibc?

On macOS, I see this.

$ gcc -E -dD - <<< '#include <sys/socket.h>' |grep '^#define SOL_'
#define SOL_SOCKET 0xffff

On Linux, I see this. Is that macOS uses a completely different libc
library? Or glibc has a specific target for macOS?

$ gcc -E -dD - <<< '#include <sys/socket.h>' |grep '^#define SOL_'
#define SOL_RAW 255
#define SOL_DECNET 261
#define SOL_X25 262
#define SOL_PACKET 263
#define SOL_ATM 264
#define SOL_AAL 265
#define SOL_IRDA 266
#define SOL_NETBEUI 267
#define SOL_LLC 268
#define SOL_DCCP 269
#define SOL_NETLINK 270
#define SOL_TIPC 271
#define SOL_RXRPC 272
#define SOL_PPPOL2TP 273
#define SOL_BLUETOOTH 274
#define SOL_PNPIPE 275
#define SOL_RDS 276
#define SOL_IUCV 277
#define SOL_CAIF 278
#define SOL_ALG 279
#define SOL_NFC 280
#define SOL_KCM 281
#define SOL_TLS 282
#define SOL_XDP 283
#define SOL_SOCKET 1

-- 
Regards,
Peng


More information about the Libc-help mailing list