Question regarding test suite build

Lukasz Majewski lukma@denx.de
Wed Jul 21 13:35:22 GMT 2021

Dear Community,

I've thought about using yocto's ptest utility to check correctness of
glibc on for example ARMv7 or i386.

The idea would be simple - copy cross compiled tests - e.g
test-clock_settime to the target's rootfs when created in yocto.

Then, after booting up the board (in for example qemu) run those tests
with ptest-runner.

Advantages of this approach:

1. DO NOT use SSH and test-wrapper script to copy those binaries

2. Tests would be cross compiled on powerfull HOST machine

3. Run tests on target device - can be qemu or custom board (which
would help a lot with validation)

The problem I'm facing now is that make check does everything at once (
it cross compiles tests, executes them and prints results).
I would probably need to add new make rule (like make tst or such)

The first step would be just cross compile tests. The
'host-built-program-cmd' from Makeconfig seems to be responsible for it.

Questions:
----------

1. I'm adjusting Rules and then execute:
rm ./time/tst-clock_settime*
make V=1 --debug=b PARALLELMFLAGS="-j8" subdirs=time check

but the changes from Rules or Makeconfig are not applied (at least not
in logs).

For example I've added to Rules (line 297)
$(objpfx)%.out:·%.input·$(objpfx)%
	@echo·FOO$
	@echo·$(make-test-out)·>·$@·<·$(word·1,$^);

to see how tests are built, but no output is visible.

2. What is the purpose of 'all-testsuite' variable in Makerules (line
1255)?

Is a separate (helper) library (libtestsuite) built to have all eligible
tests in it?

3. It looks like some env variables GCONV_PATH and LOCPATH are set when
tests are built (Makeconfig line 745) in run-program-env.

I'm wondering how I could avoid setting it on target (store in bash.rc
when image is created?) and just call the test itself (like
tst-clock_settime)?

Thanks in advance for help.

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski