Build libc6-2.28 from source: ld-2.28.so cause errors when installing deb package

Florian Weimer fweimer@redhat.com
Thu Jul 1 21:02:47 GMT 2021

* Mike Frysinger via Libc-help:

> On 01 Jul 2021 08:42, Florian Weimer via Libc-help wrote:
>> * Kenny Bian via Libc-help:
>>
>> > We try to build libc6-2.28 from source code. Our board runs Ubuntu
>> > 18.04 in armhf architecture. We downloaded the source code from
>> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc/2.28-0ubuntu1.
>> > Here is what we did to create the deb package:
>> > 1. We build it by using these bash commands:
>> > /usr/bin/dpkg-source -x glibc_2.28-0ubuntu1.dsc libc6-2.28
>> > pushd libc6-2.28/
>> > mkdir build
>> > pushd build/
>> > ../configure \
>> >     --host=arm-linux-gnueabihf \
>> >     --prefix=/tmp/armhf/libc6/usr \
>> >     --enable-obsolete-nsl
>> > make
>> > make install
>>
>> make install without a temporary DESTDIR is not supported.
>> Unfortunately the instructions do not make this clear.
>
> should we add an $(error) in this case ?  shouldn't be too hard to do ...

Yeah, I was thinking that, too.  I thought I even had a patch for it,
but doesn't look like it.  Along with an update to INSTALL, that would
be quite useful, I think.

Thanks,
Florian