Unable to override OBJCOPY during configure

Ryan Burns rtburns@protonmail.com
Thu Feb 4 02:01:30 GMT 2021

Hi Libc-help,

I'm having trouble cross-compiling glibc to powerpc64le. Compiling to powerpc64le requires a working objcopy, which I have available via powerpc64le-unknown-linux-gnu-objcopy, and I can provide that at build time using "make OBJCOPY=powerpc64le-unknown-linux-gnu-objcopy".
But the toplevel ./configure does OBJCOPY=`$CC -print-prog-name=objcopy` unconditionally, and is unable to find powerpc64le-unknown-linux-gnu-objcopy, so the later version check (to enforce the objcopy 2.26 minimum requirement) fails.
Is it possible to manually specify the objcopy binary at configure time, or bypass the configure check for the objcopy version?

Thanks,
Ryan