Twiddling with 64-bit values as 2 ints;

Adhemerval Zanella adhemerval.zanella@linaro.org
Mon Aug 23 12:23:44 GMT 2021

On 21/08/2021 10:34, Stefan Kanthak wrote:

> (Heretic.-) questions:
> - why does glibc still employ such ugly code?
> - Why doesn't glibc take advantage of 64-bit integers in such code?

Because no one cared to adjust the implementation.  Recently Wilco
has removed a lot of old code that still uses 32-bit instead of 64-bit
bo bit twinddling in floating-pointer implementation (check caa884dda7
and 9e97f239eae1f2).

I think we should move to use a simplest code assuming 64-bit CPU
and let the compiler optimize it (which unfortunately gcc is not that
smart in all the cases).