Best reference for understanding ELF format

Szabolcs Nagy szabolcs.nagy@arm.com
Mon Apr 19 07:29:03 GMT 2021

The 04/17/2021 07:31, Peng Yu via Libc-help wrote:
> That is a book. By definition, a book will not be complete since a
> book is not written for completeness?
>
> For the best reference (as "reference" may have muliple meanings maybe
> I should use the word "spec" to avoid ambiguity), I found the
> following two documents. One is for 32-bit, the other is for 64-bit.
> Are they the most current ones? Other there any other documents that
> cover the things missed by them?
>
> https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/elf/elf.pdf
> https://www.uclibc.org/docs/elf-64-gen.pdf

elf spec is part of the system v abi document.
the generic part is in
http://www.sco.com/developers/gabi/
the processor specific part is published separately by
whoever does the tooling for the particular processor.

(all this can be found out by 5 minute research on wikipedia)

but since you asked for easy-to-follow and for
understanding elf i think the book is better.