[Y2038] Question about porting y2038-tests to glibc

Joseph Myers joseph@codesourcery.com
Fri Oct 30 17:08:55 GMT 2020

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:

> My technical opinion is as follows:
>
> * We should be open to expanding what build-many-glibcs.py does,
>   and providing options to select which operations are carried
>   out, including new QEMU tests.
>
> * Using QEMU user is OK in build-many-glibcs.py, but there may be
>   false positives due to QEMU emulation of syscalls because of the
>   host kernel.
>
> * Using QEMU system in build-many-glibcs.py is even better, and
>   would be a gold standard IMO.

Options for those would be reasonable (they'd need to do the QEMU tests
only for the subset of architectures and ABIs supported with QEMU), but
getting to a clean baseline for even one of the supported glibc ABIs
(thus, if using QEMU user emulation, annotating all the tests that might
fail in such a configuration, reliably or randomly, because they use
functionality such as threads and signals that's problematic for userspace
QEMU - as well as the general matter of execution tests that may not
reliably pass for all configurations) would probably be a lot of work.
And a clean baseline is much better than needing to track known test
failures individually.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com