glibc-devel-2.28 libc_nonshared.a relocation issues

Florian Weimer fw@deneb.enyo.de
Thu Aug 13 18:45:00 GMT 2020

* Brendan Batliner:

> This is a problem for our builds because libc_nonshared.a is
> statically linked, and our large binaries require the use of
> mcmodel=large. The 32-bit relocations present in libc_nonshared.a
> from glibc-devel-2.28 are not compatible with our builds.
>
> What is the correct workaround for this issue? How should we
> proceed? Thank you for any advice.

I do not think there is a workaround.  This seems to be a regression
introduced by this commit:

commit 825adeeed1e95990fd1efb70d9ac3eb7f1ea802a
Author: H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Sep 26 16:53:25 2017 -0700

    Mark __dso_handle as hidden [BZ #18822]

    Since __dso_handle is always defined by either crtbegin.o from GCC or
    dso_handle.c, it should be marked as hidden and be passed directly.

Would you please file a bug here?

  <https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=glibc&component=libc>

Maybe the link editor could be a bit smarter about this, but that's a
different conversation.